Psychologist joins Johnson County Pediatrics
Dr. Ali Calkins-Smith, clinical psychologist, joined Johnson County Pediatrics in mid-September.
“We are thrilled to be adding Dr. Calkins-Smith to JoCoPeds,” said Dr. Mary Tyson. “She brings children’s and adolescent psychological services to our practice, which we are keenly aware are important to our patients, our families and our community. We felt it was our responsibility to meet the needs of the increased number of families with children experiencing health issues like anxiety and depression.”
A native of Overland Park, Calkins-Smith attended Shawnee Mission public schools. She earned a Bachelor of Science in Psychology from the University of Tulsa in 2011, earned master’s and doctorate degrees in clinical psychology from the University of Kansas. Calkins-Smith completed her post-doctoral internship and fellowship training at Children’s Mercy.
“I love working with children and adolescents!” Dr. Calkins-Smith said. “They are hilarious,fun, kind, and honest. I feel super fortunate to have the opportunity to work with not only children and adolescents, but also their families.
Dr. Calkins-Smith will have appointments available Monday through Friday.
The types of appointments that Calkins-Smith will be scheduling include:
1. Psychological Assessment (learning disorders, ADHD)
2. General parent training/child management
3. Disruptive behavior (Oppositional behavior, temper tantrums, behavioral noncompliance, biting, sibling problems, etc.)
5. ADHS/attention concerns
6. Anxiety Disorders (separation anxiety, school phobia, specific fears/phobias, OCD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder)
7. Enuresis (day or night wetting/soiling), Toileting Refusal and toilet training
8. Feeding issues (if severe, may need to refer to feeding clinic)
9. Sleep disturbances (bedtime problems, night terrors, nightwaking, etc.)
10. Habit/Tic disorders (thumbsucking, nailbiting, trichtillomania/hair pulling, Tourettes/tics)
11. Mood difficulties (situational depression)
12. Adjustment Disorders (separation/divorce, adoption/birth of sibling, grief/loss, etc.)
13. Adjustment to Injury (no longer able to participate in sport/activity)
14. Adolescent Issues (parent-child conflict, social concerns, etc.)
15. Social Concerns (general social interaction difficulties, bullying, etc.)
16. School Difficulties (school avoidance, poor grades, memory, learning concerns)
17. Pain management (headache, chronic pain, anxiety regarding medical procedures, biofeedback)
18. Coping with medical condition/illness
19. Adherence to medical recommendations (pill swallowing)
Flu Clinics are open for appointments
We are now scheduling appointments for our 2019 flu clinics. Appointments are needed! The flu clinics begin near the end of September and go through October. Please call 913.384.5500 to schedule.
All About JoCoPeds
Looking for a compassionate, family–centered pediatrician in Shawnee Mission? You've come to the right place. At Johnson County Pediatrics, we specialize in medical care for kids, and we would love to get to know you and your family better. Our commitment is to help children reach their highest potential by working with parents to promote and maintain their child's physical and emotional well–being from birth up to college years.
Our Johnson County pediatricians believe that accessibility, understanding and comfort are the cornerstones for an exceptional pediatric practice. To achieve this goal, we offer convenient office hours, helpful patient resources and an outstanding level of support and expertise. So whether you're visiting for the first time or the hundredth time, you'll receive the same quality, educational and compassionate service with every appointment.
Our shared goal, as parents and physicians, is to guide your child on a path of optimal health. In order to attain this, we continuously strive to meet and exceed our patients' expectations while maintaining the highest standards of excellence in pediatric medicine. From prenatal visits and preventive care to treatments of acute illnesses and the ongoing treatment of chronic conditions, Johnson County Pediatrics offers comprehensive medical treatment for children from infancy through adolescence. Other services we offer are newborn care, immunizations, and treatment for asthma and ADHD.
Please take a few moments to explore our informational website. We hope you will find our site easy to navigate, informative, and helpful in keeping your family healthy. This website gives you easy access to our Shawnee Mission pediatric practice, including directions, hours of operations, payment policies, information about our physicians and our services, and even a link to request an appointment. It also includes answers to some of our most commonly asked questions.
If you have any questions or want to schedule your child's first visit to our office, feel free to contact us today. Our friendly and highly knowledgeable staff is available to support and assist you with any questions or concerns about the health of your child. Thank you for your interest in Johnson County Pediatrics.